Washington Avenue...The artist community blog

Post and Share your art.The artist community blog


IT'S ON CHALLENGE: Aliens...





To join the "IT'S ON" CHALLENGE
e-mail: Boblearned@gmail.com

Friday, November 30, 2007

Tamara's introduction


Hi! My name is Tamara and I'm also going to be posting illustrations and such on this blog: Washington Avenue.

I am an illustrator/biologist from the Netherlands, where we don't really have "avenues" but "straten", "boulevards" and "lanen". I started speaking English when I was 5 by watching Inspector Gadget (Go go gadget!) and according to my Australian friends I still have a vague American/Canadian accent. Drawing started around the same time and was for a time limited to bunnies and dolphins. After a while I started drawing portraits and elves and these days it's comics about little children and strange creatures.

But let's not overwhelm you with too much useless information about me. Let's talk about this little lady left to this text:

She's a pensketch of a Knar (a race born out of my own imagination) that I coloured in photoshop. I tried to apply some textures in her clothing and skin and I think it didn't turn out too bad, but any tips to get a better result are welcome!

2 comments:

Bob Learned said...

Hey Tamara, I like the look of the character. Great first post!

Your pen work is nice, I even dig the crosshatching. You have to watch out for over using crosshatching techniques, they can muddle up a simple masterpiece.

Your note on texture made me remember somthing i was told in school. When you color your work in photoshop you should use the textures sparcely or not at all. They tend to flatten out any dynamic that the picture creates. Your pictures are so dynamic you should be able to do a little bit of texture in your actual drawing, and just add color.

I dig your colors and wish that they had more dramatic (IE lights and darks.) to pop the drawing out from the page.

Unknown said...

The pensketch wasn't originally intended to be coloured, so that's why I did the crosshatching. But lately I've been reading comics where crosshatching's used more often then I thought it would be, especially in backgrounds. But I reckon that's all in the personal style and preference of an artist.

Thank you for liking the colours and pen work! I'll keep the warning against textures in photoshop in mind and I'll see what I can do with highlights and more darks. See if I can make her "step out of the page".